Thursday, July 22, 2010

Faith, Hope, and Charity in the Flesh



Most of us have heard all our lives about faith, hope, and charity. These three attributes are talked about in church, General Conference, and the scriptures, probably more than any other topic. To me they have always seemed like lofty goals, characteristics that you attain when you have more silver hairs than brown, and more wrinkles than years left to get them in. The discourse by Moroni in the seventh chapter of Moroni is famous, and addresses each attribute in turn, discussing how one leads to the other, and how in the end, when we finally attain them all, "...charity never faileth," which sounds great, but always makes me feel like if it's that great, it's probably pretty hard to attain--like it would take a miracle to achieve, and I don't even know where to start.


That is, until recently. I have been reading the book No One Can Take Your Place by Sherri Dew, and in one chapter she focuses on these three attributes. When I started the chapter, I thought, "Great. Another lesson on three abstract, and yet essential attributes, that will leave me wanting to do better, but not knowing how." However, I was completely surprised by this chapter.


In it she talks about a living, breathing, example of these attributes in action: Marjorie Pay Hinckley, President Hinckley's wife. Sister Dew takes each attribute, and shows how Sister Hinckley possessed it, and how it lead to her perfection of the next attribute, until she became the loving, kind, charitable person she was.





Faith: This is an attribute that obviously continues developing throughout our lives. However, we can have it to a degree now, if we can work our hardest to have faith, true faith, in Jesus Christ. Meaning, we trust Him, we believe He knows us, and we know He will make all things "work together for our good" if we just do the simple things He has asked us to do in order to stay close to Him. Sister Hinckley had firm faith in Christ, that He was in charge, and that He would direct her for good, no matter the trials she faced.

Hope: Once we have that believe, be it small and growing, or firm and unshakeable, we begin to have hope. We are optimistic that things will work out for the best, even when faced with severe challenges, uncertainties, and trials. Sister Hinckley (and her husband) were always optimistic. They knew the challenges they (and all of us) faced, but faced them with hope of better things to come, and of good days ahead.

Charity: After our faith in Christ has led us to be hopeful and optimistic about ourselves, the world, and our future, we begin to start looking outward, instead of looking inward, focusing on our fears and weaknesses. When we stop focusing on ourselves, and worrying about every little detail (because we trust in Christ to take care of us) then we can spend more time looking out for others, helping and serving those in need, and doing for others what they cannot do for themselves. This is charity. Loving others more than ourselves, and loving them like the Savior does. Sister Hinckley (and, again, her husband) were living examples of this kind of love. They radiated this love, and never left anyone's presence without making them feel better and more hopeful for having known the Hinckleys.

This simple example has changed the way I view these three attributes. I no longer think of them as impossible. Actually, it makes living by faith, hope, and charity, seem like a rather simple task, and a MUCH better way of life. I know that when I am focused more on myself, my stress, my fears, my anxieties, then I am not a fun person to be around. But if I can trust in the Lord, and not stress about the "little" stuff (and it's all little stuff) then I can stop worrying so much about me, and start living a more charitable, Christlike life.

Obviously, I'm not there yet. But now I feel like I'm on my way.

1 comment:

  1. Adriane! Thank you so much for writing that, I really needed to hear it put that way. Don't you just adore Sheri Dew?! You are an amazing woman and I look up to you in so many ways, I love you my dear!

    ReplyDelete